Saktong Buhay: Sa De Kalidad na Edukasyon Pinanday

Atty. Robert John I. Donesa

(A speech delivered during the 7th Commencement Exercises at Bestow Emmanuel College Foundation (BECF), Sitio Baluarte, Dapdap, Mabalacat City, Pampanga, March 27, 2015. This speech is dedicated to my Alma Mater, Urios College High School.)
The Speaker (in suit) with one of the graduates, Ms. Jenica Roque, and her parents.
          
First of all, I would like to thank Bestow Emmanuel College Foundation headed by Rev. Dr. Myung Soo Lee, School Administrator and Mrs. Criselda B. Castro, Principal, for inviting me here to be the guest speaker of your graduation today. It is indeed a great honor.

Who I am today – a local historian, a history professor and a lawyer – is a byproduct of my meaningful and memorable Secondary Education or better known as High School. I graduated in 1993 that is twenty-two (22) years ago. And looking back, it was a period of my life where I really have to make important choices which will have lasting impact on my future – and that future is today. I am today a very self-assured person. I speak my mind, share my thoughts, and offer my opinions and people listen simply because I am a professor and a lawyer – meaning, I am learned.

But who could have imagine that some twenty-six (26) years ago, I was such a shy freshman, with little self-confidence, entering a private high school, Urios College High School, at my former hometown, Butuan City? I was too intimidated by the school’s environment. Its buildings left me in astonishment. Its students were studious and diligent and I think I am not at par. And the teachers, just like your teachers, were all excellent and they speak good English most of the time!

Because of these intimidation, my self-esteem dropped low. I wasn’t able to catch up with the lessons. I felt I was too mentally slow. As a result, I was always absent from class. It even reached to a point where our class adviser had to send some class officers to my house to inquire as to why I am always absent. I saw them at our gate. I was too shy to invite them in. So I just sent them away with a promise that I am coming to school the next day. And this I did.

I later realized that I belong to an honors’ section (I-Narra) where majority of the students were already well-adjusted with the rigorous academic environment. I am also not alone in my ordeal; there are more or less ten of us. The next school year, it was announced that the ten of us will be dropped out of the honors’ class and join the heterogeneous classes. But the school administration revisited its decision and retained the five students. I was retained.

From then on, I started striving hard for my secondary education. I became serious with my assignments. I spent my Christmas vacation solving mathematics exercises in my textbooks. I spent my vacant times profitably by writing reports, reading assigned literary texts, cracking my brains on investigatory projects, sharpening my English language and many more. By the time I was in my junior year, my shyness waned. I am, by then, a self-assured and well-adjusted teen. And for the first time, I made it to the top ten honors. I was at the tail end, 9th honors, but I was so proud. It was really a tough competition, where, sometimes parents were involved.

The senior year was doubly busy. It was an action-packed year. I was into almost anything there is. Among, others, I was an officer of the Filipino Club, Book Lovers’ Club, Philippine Military Training and a member several other clubs including Teatro Urian. Because of too many school activities, there were times when I have to leave home early without breakfast and come home at night so tired and sleep without supper. At the end of the School Year, I was still at the tail end, 8th honors (6th Honorable Mention). But still, I’m very proud. For a late bloomer, to be an honor student is something to really be proud of.

High School was an era of competition and challenges for me. Yes, these were difficult challenges! I shrugged away all my shyness and became a leader. It could have been easy, but I took a different route. I made it difficult. I was so competitive. I wanted to excel. I was determined to finish High School with honors. What made it more difficult was the fact that my classmates were all intelligent and were all my friends.

It was also in High School when I decided to become a lawyer. One time, I was on a main road called Jose C. Aquino Highway. I gazed at the stretch of the highway and told myself that I am going to be a lawyer. I know that before enrolling in the Bachelor of Laws program, I needed to finish a Baccalaureate degree first. Thus, it will take me a total of eight (8) years to finish schooling and another year to take the Bar to become a lawyer. Just like the highway, it was then a long way to go. But even at a young age, I was firm. I believed that eight years is just a short period of time to wait. So I set my goals at becoming a lawyer, and now I am one.

Admonition

Without any claim to originality, when you reach college, remember these four (4) great values. I coded them as 4Ds. They are: Desire, Discipline, Determination and Destiny. These values are the life-long learning that I have learned from High School.

Desire. As early as now, know what you want and who you want to be. Do you want to be a Doctor? A Politician? A Teacher? An Engineer? A Poet? A Programmer? Or a Lawyer? Know your heart’s desire.

When I was in High School, my favorite subject was History. I love reading Philippine History, the Roman Empire and the Greek Civilization, among others. So I told my father, I desired to take up AB or BSE History. He was disappointed. He wanted me to enroll in banking, finance or commerce. But following my heart’s desire, I enrolled at the AB History program of Mindanao State University. To temper down my father’s disappointment, I promised him I will take up Bachelor of Laws and become a lawyer afterwards. He became happy.

Discipline. Once you have the desire, discipline follows. Depending on your study preference, you will find yourself waking up early morning or sleeping late at night to study your lessons and prepare for the next day’s engagements with your classmates and professors. You will make sure that you will not fail in any of your enrolled courses as you may not want to be left behind by your batch mates. Everyday is an opportunity for learning new things, a step further towards the realization of your goals.

Determination. Your journey to become a professional may not be as smooth as that of others. Along the way, problems may arise and hinder you from completing your College degree. Financial problem is the most common cause of College dropouts. Here is where determination comes in. If you dreamed so badly to become a professional, you will do everything to achieve it. Determination will be your driving force. You may seek financial help from relatives, friends, classmates and even professors. Or you may avail of scholarships, bursaries and other sources. Others may seek part-time jobs for extra income. Sometimes, you may even stop studying and then get employed. Yet later, you will come back and finish College. All these because of your determination.

When I was third year in law school, my parents called me up and told me to stop schooling and just come home. They said they cannot anymore sustain my expenses in Manila. I am only three semesters away from graduation. I did stop as advised. But I did not go home. I sought help from my relatives, friends, classmates, brothers and even professors. A kind Dominican priest and professor, Fr. Braulio Peña, O.P., helped me with my tuition and other fees through a scholarship he wrestled for me from UST Scholarship Office. I found a part-time teaching job at STI-Recto, Manila to help me with my personal expenses. After three semesters, and to my parents’ surprise, I graduated Bachelor of Laws at UST amidst financial challenges.

Destiny. Destiny is our fate and is sometimes beyond our control. We can prepare for everything to reach our goals. Like if we wanted to become lawyers, we can work hard and do whatever it takes to become one. But if we are not destined to be lawyers then it won’t happen. Many of my classmates in law school at the University of Santo Tomas finished their Bachelor of Laws degrees. But they were not destined to become lawyers. They did not pass the Bar examinations. Many of them are now successfully managing their own businesses. These are their destinies – becoming successful business professionals rather than lawyers. I believe in destiny.

Quality Education at Urios College High School

Like you, I studied at a private and sectarian High School in the city of my childhood, Butuan City, 1989-1993. It was then Urios College High School (UCHS) or simply, Urios. Then, as it is now, this institution of learning is noted for its quality education (kalidad na edukasyon) imbued with Catholic virtues, especially service to fellowmen.

My Alma Mater, like BECF your Alma Mater, taught me to maximize my learning while I am studying there. It taught me to discover my potentials and push my abilities to limits I did not expect possible. It taught me to vanish my inhibitions, excel and lead. It strengthened my Catholic faith – a faith that guided me through the darkest moments of my life.
Looking back, I now believe that the quality education instilled in me by my Alma Mater is what made me who I am today. Thus, today’s theme is fitting, Saktong Buhay: Sa De Kalidad na Edukasyon Pinanday. A better and brighter future achieved through quality education. I am forever thankful to my Alma Mater for molding me to become a person who unceasingly seeks for wisdom.

Showing our Gratitude

May I then request all the graduates to stand up and place your hands together for Bestow Emmanuel College Foundation (BECF), your Alma Mater. Be forever thankful to your school for the gift of quality education, for the discipline and for the life-long learning. Thank you Bestow Emmanuel College Foundation.

Now, graduates please face your parents. Let us acknowledge their efforts by clapping our hands for them. They are the real superstars today. They are instrumental why we are here basking in success. Let us celebrate this day as their day of success. Thank you very much dear parents.

Now please face your classmates and friends. Congratulate each other. Tap each others’ back and say: “Thank you classmates for being with me throughout the four years of joy and fun, challenges and rigors. Thank you for growing up with me and for the wonderful journey we shared together.”

And when all your dreams are fulfilled, come back and see each other again and celebrate your victories together.

Once again, congratulation graduates!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ang Kalakalang Ilawud-iIaya sa Agusan Noong Panahon ng mga Espanyol

Kabataang Mula sa K to 12 Tagapagdala ng Kaunlaran sa Buong Pilipinas

Kalayaan, Pero Ano?